Hope McKenney/KUCB

A St. Paul student died at the island's school last week.

The 5th grader collapsed in a classroom during the school day, according to Superintendent Brett Agenbroad of the Pribilof Island School District.

"School employees provided first aid and promptly called emergency responders who provided assistance and emergency transport to a health care facility," said Agenbroad. 

The child did not regain consciousness and was pronounced dead. While the cause of death is still unknown, the state medical examiner is performing an autopsy.  

Jessica Tran/Aleut Community of St. Paul Island Ecosystem Conservation Office

St. Paul Island's rogue rat has met its demise after 10 months of evading capture and living large at the local fish plant.

The rat was found dead last weekend by a visiting birder. The discovery has sent tempered relief throughout the community, which has worked for decades to remain rodent-free.

St. Paul is a haven for millions of nesting seabirds. It's also one of the few island communities in the world that has been able to protect its rich wildlife from invasive rodents.

Laura Kraegel/KUCB

This week on 49 Voices, we're hearing from Shane Baldwin in St. Paul.

Baldwin is a commercial fishermen gearing up for halibut season, which starts in June.

Lisa Phu/KTOO

Alaska lawmakers are considering expanding a state park to include the historic graves of Unangan people who died during the evacuation of World War II.

After the Japanese bombed Unalaska in 1942, U.S. authorities forcibly evacuated more than 800 Unangax̂ from nine villages in the Aleutian and Pribilof Islands ahead of the Japanese advance.

Lauren Dean/U.S. Coast Guard

As the winter fishing season winds down, the U.S. Coast Guard has demobilized its temporary bases in St. Paul and Cold Bay.

Last week, the agency announced that helicopter crews conducted 24 search-and-rescue operations during their three-month deployment from Kodiak, with help from the cutters Alex Haley, John Midgett, and Douglas Munro.

In total, officials estimated the crews spent more than 110 hours saving the lives of 19 people and assisting 29 others.