An unattended bonfire caused a tundra fire at Morris Cove last Sunday. When on a walk with her family, Unalaskan Brenda Tellman saw smoke. She went to investigate and found the grass on fire. It was over an acre and spreading.
Tellman says she was scared they would not be able to extinguish the fire before it spread.
“Just people who are making fires out there have to make sure the fire is really out because of sparks with the dry grass," said Tellman. "We don’t have trees, but we do have bushes and a lot of super dry grass.”