Alaska Department of Fish and Game Bi-Weekly Fishing Report
Unalaska Bay/Dutch Harbor Road System: June 2, 2020
· The bag limit for Unalaska Bay fresh and saltwaters is 5 salmon per day of which only 2 may be sockeye.
· Anglers are reminded that Town Creek (Iliuliuk) is closed to fish for sockeye year round.
· The saltwaters of Summer’s Bay are open to snagging, however, the freshwaters from the outlet of Summer’s Bay Lake to the ocean are closed to all sportfishing.
· All freshwaters of Unalaska Island are closed to snagging year round.
· Anglers are reminded that many of the creeks flowing into Unalaska Bay have closed waters for a portion of the drainage or all of the drainage in some cases. Be sure to keep an eye out for signs marking closed waters.
· The Southwest Alaska Sportfish regulation booklet has a complete list of sport fishing regulations for Unalaska Bay. It can be found in print in many locations or at: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishregulations.sw_sportfish
· Dollies are around and have been caught in Town Creek and on many of the beaches. Dollies generally leave their freshwater wintering areas by early to mid Juen and headed to saltwaters for the summer.
· A few reds are showing up too! It’s near the beginning of the run for both Town Creek and McLee’s and it sounds like many red runs around the state are off to a slow start.
· Cod and rockfish are plentiful and seem to be able to be caught easily so far.
· Halibut typically move in to shallower water in the summers months and it sound like they are slow to move into the shallower areas of the Bay so far. Fishing should be picking up any time now, though.
· King salmon trolling and Tanner crab fishing have both been slow so far from the sounds of it.
· As of January 1, 2020 all anglers fishing saltwaters from a boat in Alaska need to have a deep water release device on board and release any rockfish they aren’t keeping to 100 ft or the depth of capture, whatever is shallower.
Contact Tyler Polum or Michelle Stratton at 486-1880 for more sport fishing information.