City officials announced Thursday that another person in Unalaska tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of positive local cases to nine. The individual who tested positive is an employee of Icicle Seafoods and has been in quarantine since arriving on the island June 25. The positive case adds to seven previous local cases already confirmed among employees at the seafood company, whose sole plant in Unalaska is a floating processing ship called the Northern Victor. The worker...
Since mid-March, Unalaskans have been hunkering down and socially isolating due to the COVID-19 pandemic. During that time—and even now as the State of Alaska reopens—many people have been avoiding crowds and public spaces such as bars, restaurants, and supermarkets, and spending more time in their own kitchens. Over the past couple months, I spoke with a few locals to see what kind of experiments, recipes, and memories they’ve been cooking up during the pandemic. In April, I sat down with...
- Museum of the Aleutians: Tuesday, July 07 2020, 11 a.m.
- Household Hazardous Waste Clean-up Event: Saturday, July 11 2020, 8:30 a.m. - Sunday, July 12 2020, 4:30 p.m.
- Aleutian Rod & Gun Club Logo Contest Deadline: Wednesday, July 15 2020
- Aleutian Tundra Golf Classic: Saturday, August 08 2020, 9 a.m. - Sunday, August 09 2020, 4 p.m.
- State Primary Election: Tuesday, August 18 2020