Unalaska is the largest community in the state without a critical access hospital, with a population of 4,500 year-round residents that more than doubles during peak fishing seasons. Early on in the COVID-19 pandemic, medical workers and politicians were unsure how bad the pandemic would get. And concern over the availability of ventilators — machines that help a patient breathe or breathe for them — intensified. In Unalaska, there are three ventilators at the community's clinic, and...
Unalaskans hit the ground running, headed for the creeks and bays earlier this month when the island's annual Silver Salmon Derby began. The Unalaska Department of Parks, Culture, and Recreation's event ended Sept. 14 and several prizes were awarded through daily drawings and given to participants who submitted the largest fish overall. This year's top contestants weighed in neck and neck. But for veteran fisher and previous derby winner, Landen Shaishnikoff — who took second place in this...
- Candidates Forum: Thursday, September 24 2020, 7 p.m.
- Marine Life of Alaska's Nearshore: Friday, September 25 2020
- 2nd Annual Aleutian Autumn Harvest: Saturday, September 26 2020, 5 p.m.
- KUCB One-Day Pledge Drive: Friday, October 02 2020
- Local Unalaska Election: Tuesday, October 06 2020, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.